May 14, 2009

A tale of two reviews

Caption Contest

Subtitle: Didi and Gogo are not Kirk and Spock or why read the New Yorker?

My recent post about "interpretive criticism" caused a tiny tempest in a teapot on a local blog. It was never about the critics' opinions per se. (Nor did anyone really respond to mine.) But there was, perhaps, a simpler way to make my point:

I just read two recent, big-publication reviews. Both contain equal helpings of positive and negative. Both are thoughtful and fun to read. Both give context. But their respective tones are completely different.

One makes sure you never have to go near the film that is it's subject: in other words, it tells you just what to think, implying that thinking the right thing is as good as being there. The review takes the place of the film. In fact, it's entertainment in it's own right. And it's fairly cheap entertainment at that.

The other review (of a play production) inspires the reader to go to the play -- indeed to take interest in experiencing the theatre generally -- in spite of the production's perceptively enumerated shortcomings. I'd rather have dinner with this guy--and then go to the theatre with him. This kind of review is actually more inspiring to read if you can't actually see the thing being reviewed. You can better imagine what it might be like, instead of being told.

While I'm at it, the subject of reviewing the reviewers is popping up on the other side of the pond as well, right here.

There is one thing I do object to even more than a aggressively interpretive review: the reader's opinion that it's a critic's job is to tell him if something is "worth the money." I can tell you right now, it is never worth the money. If you have extra cash lying around, try spending it on this. (Or this.)

3 comments:

  1. I would argue that nothing is "worth the money", when you put it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just my -- perhaps ironic -- point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, on the contrary, it depends on your situation. If I'm starving and have $2, that Dollar Menu looks pretty good! If an ineffable experience is what I need, I'll find the one that appeals to me most that I can "afford." What I spend doesn't have much to do with the "value" the thing itself. In any case, reviews oriented toward a straight up or down opinion or recommendation don't appeal to me. I usually just make my own decisions based on other info.

    ReplyDelete

Unattributed comments may not be published. Please use Open ID or provide a blog URL if possible.

search this blog & beyond

Popular Posts